History of the Toronto Section
The Toronto Section of the STLE (Society of Tribologist and Lubrication Engineers) is one of many spread around the world but which are concentrated in North America. Most are in the USA, but there are Canadian Sections like Toronto.
Who We Are
The STLE was originally founded in 1944 as the ASLE (American Society of Lubrication Engineers). The name was changed to open up the membership to tribologists with the focus on much more than just lubrication.
The purpose is as follows:
To advance the science of tribology and the practice of lubrication engineers in order to foster innovation, improve the performance of equipment and products, conserve resources and protect the environment.
The Toronto Section has about 150 members from across the GTA and includes educators, researchers, suppliers and users. We hold monthly dinner meetings, tours and education courses. The STLE also hosts an annual meeting with approximately 300 technical presentations and 1,500 attendees. This has been held in Toronto on three occasions. The STLE is a not-for-profit organization and commercialism is discouraged.
STLE Toronto Constitution:
In The Beginning...
…the Buffalo Section, chartered in 1946, served the needs of members in the Niagara Peninsula, Hamilton and Toronto areas. Later, in 1951, an Ontario Section was set up at the instigation of Tom Marshall, Art Thorburn and Bill Belfry which was the first Section to be formed outside of the United States. The monthly meetings were held alternately in Toronto and Hamilton.
During the next eight years, the Ontario Section grew and we remember with affection the Chairpersons who steered us through those early days:
1951/53 – T.A. Marshall; 1953/54 – J. Boase; 1954/55 – R.G. Armstrong; 1955/56 – W.B. Dembner; 1956/57 – J.F. Parker; 1957/58 – C.I.R McDougall; 1958/59 – W.H. Mann
By the end of 1958 membership had topped the 100 mark so a separate Hamilton Section was formed and to avoid confusion the Ontario Section was re-named the Toronto Section which received its charter on February 10, 1959.